How can an outdoor area better support the diverse ways in which children learn through play?
The Parent Teacher Organization of Greeley Elementary School launched a project to reimagine the school’s outdoor play area. Emphasizing a lack of natural materials and the value of play in learning, the PTO partnered with The Third Teacher + to redesign the outdoor space.
The Third Teacher + Process Components:
- Desk research on cognitive development and play as learning
- Observation of activities and behaviors in current outdoor area
- Interviews with parents, faculty and leadership
- Surveys distributed to parents, faculty and leadership
- Student Workshop exploring types of places children respond to and asking them to design an imaginary world for their outdoor area
- Faculty Workshop to explore types of places they see as valuable for students and asking them to define the types of uses they would use for teaching
- Family Workshop
Construction Documents (AutoCAD & Revit)
3D Modeling (Revit)